Tuesday, April 29, 2014

ANUx - India1x Engaging India - Ten Weeks MOOC

This week I am starting a MOOC (Massive Open Online Course) about India in EDx facilitated by professors at The Australian National University.  I am very excited since I am such a talker about going to India, but such an ignorant about it. 
This is what I wrote in the discussion board as my introduction:

I have been always fascinated with India, but I don´t know exactly the reasons. I am an outdoor person, trying to find balance in my life; I am an educator; I am a librarian; I am a person who likes to help other people; I used to climb mountains; I have a Master in History and another in Library Science; I am a life-long learner. Maybe all these reasons combined made me dream with the fact that one of these days I will go to India to either work, volunteer, travel, or hopefully, all of them. I realized though, that my fascination with India is more a fix idea or a feeling since my knowledge about India is shallow, bits and pieces of people that I have met, random articles that I have read, stereotypes or obvious people like Mother Theresa or Gandhi, Yoga as a fad, several NGOs, Bollywood movies or Salaam Bombay, authors as Anita Nair or the outsourcing world of Bangalore through "The World is Flat" by Thomas Friedman. In sum, I felt really stupid that I wanted to go to India and be "fascinated" about it, without having a deeper or consistent knowledge of the country and its people. And then, I stumbled across this course...So, I feel very honored to be in this class where I know I will learn a lot from all of you.


 ANUx-Engaging India

No comments:

Post a Comment